Many gamers wonder whether the PS5 controller is compatible with PS4. Unfortunately, the answer is NO. The PS5 controller is incompatible with the PS4 console, but you can use it on your PC.
Once you connect your PS5 to your Windows PC, you can play your favorite PC games on these comfortable and feature-packed gaming pads. The process of setting it up is straightforward, follow the steps below, and you can enjoy the PC game with your PS5 controller.
Step 1: Connect your PS5 controller to your PC
The first step to using the PS5 on a PC is firmly connecting it to your computer. There are two ways to connect your PS5 controller to a PC.
Method 1: Connect your PS5 controller via USB cable
Connecting your PS5 controller to your Windows computer is the easiest way. But first, get yourself a USB cable.
If you only purchase a PS5 controller, you’ll find the cable is not included. You’ll need to use the USB cable supplied with the PS5 console to connect or charge the controller.
Get a 2 pack from Amazon for $8.99 if you don’t have one.
- Plug the smaller end of your USB cable into the top of the PS5 controller.
- Plug the other end of the cable into a spare USB port on your PC.
- You’re ready to go. As long as you’re running Windows 10, the OS should pick up on it immediately.
Method 2: Connect your PS5 controller via Bluetooth
Wireless PS5 controller using Bluetooth to connect to a PC. If your PC has Bluetooth, you can connect your PS5 controller with your PC wirelessly. If not, you can use a Bluetooth dongle to connect the 2 devices.
If you need a Bluetooth adapter, get a Bluetooth 5.0 dongle for the computer.
Make sure your Bluetooth adapter is running perfectly. You’ll need the latest Bluetooth adapter driver on your computer. If you’re unsure about it or don’t know how to do it manually, you can do it automatically with DriverSol and Outbyte Driver Updater.
Outbyte Driver Updater will automatically recognize your system and find its correct drivers. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can download and install your drivers using the Free or Pro version of Outbyte Driver Updater:
- Download and Install Outbyte Driver Updater.
- Run Outbyte Driver Updater and hit the Scan Now button. Outbyte Driver Updater will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to the Bluetooth adapter driver to automatically download the correct version, then manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the missing or outdated drivers on your system. (This requires the Pro version with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact DriverSol’s support team at support [at] windll.com or info [at] windll.com.
When your Bluetooth adapter is ready, let’s get your PS5 connected to the PC.
- On the PC, press the Windows logo key + I (the “i” key) together to open Windows Settings. Click Devices.
- In the Bluetooth & other devices panel, click Add Bluetooth or another device button.
- Now turn to your PS5 controller. Hold down the Share button and the PS logo button on your controller simultaneously, and eventually, the light should start to blink rapidly around the touchpad. That means the PS5 controller is discoverable.
- Turn to your PC, and a Wireless Controller appears on the screen. Click it to pair your PS5 with your computer.
The PS5 is connected to your PC, and you can use it on some games that already support this controller.
But if the game you want to play uses Microsoft’s newer XInput driver, you need to set up the controller on Steam or via DS4Windows to let you play PC games.
Step 2: Set up the controller
Method 1: Set up PS5 controller on Steam
If you are a Steam user, things become a lot easier. Steam has added initial support for the DualSense controller, and it’s the easiest way to get your PS5 working on PC, even for non-Steam games.
- Open Steam and log in. Then click Big Picture Mode on the upper-right corner.
- Click Settings in the top right corner.
- Select Controller Settings.
- You’ll see your PS5 will be listed as Wireless Controller.
- Click Wireless Controller; you can assign each button and save the configuration.
- Click the power button and select Exit Big Picture mode.
- Enjoy your games with your PS5 controller on Steam!
You can also use Steam’s control support for games from other stores or even emulators.
- Click Games on the upper left corner and click Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library.
- Now you can enjoy non-Steam games with your PS5 controller.
Method 2: Set up PS5 controller via DS4Windows
If your PC doesn’t have built-in PS4 drivers and you don’t use Steam, you will need DS4Windows.
- Go to the DS4Windows website and download the tool.
- In the open window, download your PC’s latest and most compatible version.
- Extract the file, then double click the DS4Windows.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
Note: The first time you boot the program, it may ask you to install the .NET Framework, a free developer framework from Microsoft. Install it and relaunch the DS4Windows.
Now, when you turn on the DS4Windows, you can use the PS5 controller on a PC to play most games that don’t have native support.
If you don’t want this running, close it.
That’s everything about how to connect and use a PS5 controller on a PC. We hope you enjoy the game with a comfortable PS5 controller.