Discord is an application that allows a community to communicate quickly using text or voice messages. The application was developed for online games where players need to exchange opinions and strategies rapidly. However, Discord isn’t just for gamers. It is a community built based on ordinary text, voice, and video communication on the Internet. Although Discord chat is practical and widely used, it is still a VoIP application focused on voice communication for gaming. Discord’s 250 million users are impressive, and many use the app daily.
It is useful both for learning and entertainment, and the ability to change the voice has made Discord a favorite pastime of thousands of people on the Internet. This was also facilitated by the simple installation of the application and the simple interface. However, the developers were not ready for such popularity of the project. Although the software turned out to be very high quality and multifunctional, many users often encounter technical problems when using this application. Some of them were eliminated with the help of patches and additions. And some can be solved even by ordinary users.
Can’t hear your best friends on Discord? We understand. The problem is most likely related to the sound settings. Here are eight fixes that will get you back into the conversation in a minute.
Fix 1: Restart Discord
The favorite solution of IT professionals worldwide is to close Discord and reopen it. A simple reset can often close any gaps and fix all problems. Enable Windows restart for good measure as well.
Or refresh Discord by pressing ctrl and r. The app works its magic and comes back with a fresh coat of digital paint.
The problem can also be temporary; the root can be found in a coding issue or a bug in the Discord app. To fix this, download Discord in your web browser and see if you can hear other people.
Discord is very quick to fix issues and release updates, and this is only a temporary measure.
Fix 2: Check hardware
Often the right decision is the simplest. Ensure that the headphone/microphone jacks are securely connected to the PC’s audio inputs and outputs, especially if you have a desktop where the tower is under the desk and rarely checked.
Gaming headsets often come with a typical mute button for input and output. Make sure you haven’t clicked on it.
Headset and microphone manufacturers are constantly pumping out new drivers to fix problems. Check the vendor’s site for your specific model and ensure you have the latest version. If you need particular software for your accessory, ensure it’s up to date.
Fix 3: Disable other voice editing software
Voice changes, which change the timbre and quality of the voice in Discord voice channels, are all the rage. Unfortunately, they tend to disharmony with Discord’s fine-tuned audio system and cause problems. As a precaution, disable any software that matches this description and check if that fixes the problem.
Fix 4: Discord Settings – Output device and output volume
Discord offers customization options to get the audio just how you like it. Go to User Settings by clicking on the gear icon next to your avatar in the lower right corner of the Discord window. In the left menu, click Voice & Video. Scroll down and click Reset Voice Settings for a clean slate to troubleshoot (doing this may very well fix the problem overall, so be sure to test before continuing with the steps below).
- First of all, make sure you select the correct input and output devices from the appropriate menus. The choice depends on what peripherals and accessories you use.
- First, select Default. If that doesn’t work and you have a headset with a built-in microphone, choose the option that works for your device. Discord plays a helpful little beep for the selected instrument when it’s fixed. Listen to the audio trigger on your headphones and your device.
- Then make sure the volume slider isn’t set to zero, and if it is, move it to the right to a reasonable amount, or all the way if you’re feeling particularly reckless and don’t care about the longevity of your hearing.
- When you’re done, hit the handy “Let’s Test” button and read a poem, sing a line from your favorite song, or utter gibberish to trigger the microphone test. We’re not testing the microphone as much as forcing Discord to return the sound of your voice.
Everything is fine if you can hear your voice, and we have solved the problem. Enter a random voice channel and see if you can listen to other users.
If you’re still having trouble, toggle the Input Mode below between Voice Activity and Tap to Talk to see which model works best.
Fix 5: Adjust Discord
While in the Voice & Video settings, scroll down to the Advanced section and find the Audio Subsystem drop-down menu. Check if the subsystem is set to “Standard” instead of “Experimental.” Changing the subsystem requires a reset of Discord click OK when prompted.
Discord uses experimental updates to test the latest changes under the hood. They are not always polished or optimized, which can cause many problems.
Expand the “Quality of Service” section and disable the “Ensure high priority of quality of service” option in the advanced section. This feature can sometimes cause damage to ISPs and routers/modems, as explained in the description.
Fix 6: Windows sound settings
The problem may not be with Discord but how your audio devices are configured in Windows. The conclusion, that is, the voice of other people in the voice channel, is directed to that speaker or headset.
- Go to the speaker/volume icon on the taskbar, right-click on it, and select “Open sound settings” or “Play devices,” depending on your version of Windows.
- Ensure that the selected tab at the top is Playback when the Sound window appears. Write down the desired device and right-click. Select “Set as the default device,” then do the same and select “Set as a default communication device.” A reassuring green checkmark appears once to indicate the default device.
- In the unlikely scenario that a device is not listed on the Playback tab, right-click anywhere in the list and select Show Disabled Devices. When the device appears, right-click and “Enable” it. Now make sure you set the “Default Device” as mentioned above.
Fix 7: Installing drivers
If the utility setting did not help or the Discord does not see the microphone, you need to check the installed drivers.
- Press the key combination Win + R.
- In the field that appears, enter the command devmgmt.msc.
- In the window that opens, expand the “Audio inputs and outputs” section.
It should show both the microphone and the headphones or speakers. If a yellow exclamation mark is displayed with any device or the device is gray, then the peripherals are not working correctly. The solution is simple – you need to install or update the drivers. If you are using an integrated sound card, find the appropriate software on the official website of your motherboard manufacturer if the sound card is discrete – on the website of the manufacturer of this device.
Fix 8: Use the web version
Мany prefers the Discord app version. Although the functionality for both versions is almost the same, people like the desktop version. If the sound problem persists, try using the web version temporarily. If your headphones work in the browser version, please get in touch with Discord Support and use the web version until they respond or resolve your issue.
If your headset doesn’t work on Discord web, the problem is most likely with the headset itself.
Finally: Contact Discord support
If all else fails and the problem persists, Discord is at the top of the tech company pyramid for responsive and friendly support services. Discord includes an advantageous VoIP debugging feature, the results of which you can send to Discord for investigation. The company provides a detailed guide on how to fix the sound error. It is only necessary to formulate the problem as clearly as possible, with a description of the software and equipment used.
We hope that one of the above methods was helpful for you. If so, be sure to write about it in the comments. We will also be glad if you share your experience working with Discord and the problems that arose during it. Maybe you have your ways to fix similar issues.