Discord is very popular among gamers and people of other professions. You can use Discord to send text and voice messages, start voice calls and group video calls, and even share your PC screen with a group or one person.
You can even stream a game or a movie on your private server. Although screen sharing can be excellent, there may also be some problems with the lack of sound. We will tell you how to fix the Discord Screen Share No Audio problem.
Causes of the lack of sound in Discord Screen Share
There are always several reasons for every problem, and the same can be said in this situation. First, let’s take a look at some of the reasons why there may not be sound on screen sharing in Discord.
The outdated version of Discord
If you’re using an older version of the Discord app and haven’t updated it for a long time, there is a risk that you’re still encountering the bug with audio that has been fixed in the new Discord updates.
Problems with system audio drivers
Damaged audio drivers may cause a lack of sound in Discord Screen Share. They can be damaged for various reasons, such as an outdated version or an inability to work with Discord and other applications. An impaired driver degrades the sound quality. You may hear a distorted or no sound when displaying the Discord screen.
Sending texts, GIFs, or voice messages does not require Discord to use the entire system of your device, but Screen Share does. If it does not have administrative privileges, you will not be able to receive audio and video streams sent through Screen Share.
Sometimes there may be several applications you use with no support for sharing audio via Discord. In such cases, you should look for alternative software or an alternative to the Discord application with support for screen sharing.
Let’s now consider a few methods of solving the problem of the lack of audio in Discord Screen Share.
Ways to fix the Discord Screen Share No Sound error
At least one of the following troubleshooting methods should fix the problem with the lack of sound in Discord when you demonstrate your device’s screen.
Reboot your computer
The first and best thing to solve this problem is to reboot your computer. There may be a glitch or error that has just occurred and does not allow the sound to pass during the Discord screen sharing. A reboot should fix the situation, and you should be ready to share your screen again with audio through Discord.
Force-close the Discord application
If other programs are running on your system and you can’t restart it, just force-close the Discord application. To do this:
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Select the “Processes” tab, find Discord, right-click on it, and click “End task.”
- Open Discord and check if the problem with the sound is solved.
Enable administrative privileges
Once Discord has administrative privileges, it can use sound via Discord Screen Share. You can enable them as follows:
- Open Explorer and select the drive where Discord is installed.
- Navigate to the directory where Discord is installed.
- Select the Discord.exe application, right-click on it, and choose “Properties” from the context menu.
- Click the “Compatibility” tab and select “Run this program as an administrator.”
- The Discord Screen Share should now play sound with the administrator’s permission.
Enabling or disabling the experimental feature
Discord has an experimental feature used to record sound during screen demonstrations. If this option is disabled, sound may not be recorded. You can always check if you have this feature enabled or not.
- Open Discord and click the gear icon to open the user settings.
- Scroll the left side until you find the “App settings” shortcut.
- Select “Voice & Video” in the “App settings.”
- Now scroll down the right side of Discord until you find the “Screen Share” heading.
- Look at the “Use an experimental method to capture audio from applications.”
- You can enable or disable it and check if the sound works while sharing the Discord screen.
Add programs or games to Discord Activity
This will let Discord know what program you’re running. Depending on that, it will set itself up and allow you to share the program on the screen immediately. Do the following to add the program or game to your Discord activity status.
- Select user settings in Discord.
- Scroll down the left list until you find ”Activity settings”.
- Select “Activity status” there.
- You will see the “Not seeing your game? Add it!” text on the right.
- Click “Add it!” and add the programs you want to show through Discord.
- Ensure the game or program is running and working, as you can add the currently active program to the list.
Check if there is a problem with the application
If you have screen sharing from Mozilla Firefox, you won’t be able to record sound. You can use other browsers, such as Google Chrome, Opera, or even Opera GX. Also, if you use other programs and cannot record sound, see if these programs have alternatives. If they allow Discord to capture sound, then the problem is solved.
Enable Push to Talk
If you already use the Push to Talk feature in Discord, you shouldn’t be worrying. Push to Talk is a setting that allows you to press the keyboard button manually to let the microphone record the sound. To enable Push to Talk in Discord, do the following:
- Open the user settings in Discord.
- Scroll to the left until you find “App settings.”
- Then select “Voice & Video.”
- You will see the input mode menu on the right.
- Click on the Push to Talk option.
- You can then adjust the shortcut button to enable PTT and the button release delay.
Avoid full-screen mode
Viewing or showing the content in full-screen mode is pleasant for you and the viewer. However, Discord may not capture the audio when you want to show the application in full-screen mode. In this case, you need to adjust the app window to make it visible to your viewers without switching to the total size of the screen.
Check your microphone settings
Windows 10 allows you to control what application or program will access your microphone. It is possible now to enable or disable the microphone permissions for Discord. You can check if they are disabled by following these steps:
- Open the Start menu and type “Microphone privacy settings” there.
- When it appears, select it to open the privacy settings.
- Be sure to allow access to the microphone first.
- Then select Discord from the list and set the switch next to the “On” position.
- If microphone access is enabled to Discord, you can record audio during screen sharing via Discord.
Update your audio drivers
Audio drivers help the system of your device have both audio input and output. These drivers may be outdated as the new ones have a better OS and the Discord application features. The drivers may also be damaged, so you’d better reinstall or upgrade them to the latest version to make the audio inputs and outputs work correctly. To update or reinstall audio drivers, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu, type “Device manager,” and open it.
- Scroll down until you find “Audio inputs and outputs.”
- Now select the audio driver installed on your system.
- Right-click it and select “Update driver” to check for available updates. If there are updates, the drivers will be downloaded. Then you need to reboot the system to complete the installation process.
- If the driver on your device needs to be updated, right-click on it and select “Uninstall.”
- When the audio drivers are uninstalled, restart your computer and open the Device Manager again.
- Now right-click on the screen and select “Scan for hardware changes.”
- The system will now detect the sound hardware and prepare to install the audio drivers.
- Once this is done, reboot your computer and check if the sound is being recorded during screen sharing.
Clear the Discord cache
The cache files may be damaged, reducing the performance of programs and user data. You can delete cache files from Discord. Don’t worry; none of your data will be deleted. Clearing cache files is the solution to many problems the programs may encounter. To apparent Discord’s cache files, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows+R key combination on the desktop to open the “Run” dialog box.
- Type % appdata%
- Scroll down until you find the Discord folder.
- Select the folder, press the “Delete” key, or right-click and select “Delete.”
- You have cleared the Discord cache. Just open Discord again and check it out. The sound capture function should work when demonstrating the program screen.
Check the sound levels of the program
It is a trivial but helpful method. You may have accidentally reduced or muted the sound levels of the program. Check the sound levels and make sure they are at 50% or more. This is a common mistake as it is easy to forget sound levels.
Reinstalling and updating the program to the latest version can sometimes solve most of the problems you may encounter. Follow these steps to reinstall the Discord app:
- Open the Start menu and type “Control panel.”
- When the Control Panel opens, select “Uninstall programs.”
- Find Discord in the list of installed programs.
- Please select it and right-click to uninstall the program.
- Discord will be removed from the system of your device.
- Now go to the Discord download page and then download and install the program.
- After a new installation of Discord, the sound capture problem will be solved as long as you use the program to demonstrate the screen through Discord.
One of the above-listed methods can help you solve the lack of sound problem when sharing your device’s screen in Discord. Don’t forget to update the Discord application to the latest version from time to time and check the app settings to prevent this problem from occurring in the future.